Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Cover # 4: England!

Thank you, Stamp Raider, for this delightful postcard!


Great Britain's oldest letter box still in regular use is at Barnes Cross, Holwell, near Sherbourne, Dorset.  The box was made between 1853 and 1856 and is octagonal with a vertical letter slot.  In the picture, the local postman Stephen Whittle wears a uniform of the 1850s.




http://stampraider.blogspot.com/




Thanks again for the cool postcard!

You sent me mail from two different countries, so I am looking for something interesting about archaeology to send you back.

Thanks,
USA Postman

2 comments:

  1. So happy it arrived! Hope you got part 2 :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only sent from England so far - that Churchill one was from the UK. BUT! I will be living in Canada beginning in October - let me know if there are any Canadian issues you really like :)

    ReplyDelete